The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research would like to announce the Dr. Eugene Owen Scholarship for Research on the International Assessment of Student Achievement.
This scholarship honors the memory of Dr. Eugene Owen, who devoted his career to understanding international differences in student educational achievement. During his 30 years at the National Center for Education Statistics, he made seminal contributions to the development of cross-national surveys, such as the Program for International Student Assessment.
The Owen Scholarship will be awarded to senior graduate students or outstanding pre-tenure scholars (less than five years since award of the PhD). Applicants can come from any academic discipline, but they should have professional interests in one or more of the following areas of research:
- Advancing cross-national research on K-12 student achievement
- Advancing cross-national research on college- or university-level achievement
- Understanding the role of teaching from a cross-national perspective
The Owen Scholarship provides a waiver of ICPSR Summer Program registration fees for one (1) four-week session or a single 3- to 5-day workshop. Recipients who choose to attend a 3- to 5-day workshop will also receive a travel stipend. The stipend is not available to attendees of a four-week session.
Applicants must sign up for the courses they wish to take through the ICPSR Summer Program registration portal at icpsr.umich.edu/SummerProgram and send the following materials to email@example.com:
- A current curriculum vita
- A cover letter detailing scholarly interests, background, research plans, and how participation in the ICPSR Summer Program will contribute toward achievement of professional objectives
- Two letters of recommendation. For applicants who are faculty members, one letter should come from your Department Chair. For graduate student applicants, one letter should come from your faculty advisor or dissertation chairperson.
- An official course transcript (for graduate student applicants only)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 30, 2016